Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Why I Live This Way

Who knows why people do things. We all make decisions every day, big and small, and it's a complex process. We have to factor in our emotions, our perception of the situation, our beliefs about the future, our values, and on and on. Some decisions are therefore difficult. But surprisingly, deciding to live in a tent was pretty easy for me. That's partly because when I decided to do it, I was living by myself so my decision wasn't going to impact anyone else. And I had to move out of my house anyway so it was a good time to make the decision. But still, why a tent?

Living in a tent has its roots in backpacking, which I began in my teens. I loved backpacking then, and still do today. Through backpacking I learnt about simplicity and how easy it is to keep our bodies alive and healthy with just a few man-made objects. I would spend a few days in the woods with only a few items and would emerge happier and healthier. I also experienced the peace of mind that comes from spending time in nature, and I came to value it. I soon began describing the time I spent camping and backpacking as "vacation". (But what was I "vacating"? Hmmm...some early seeds!)

I've also had a pretty strong streak of independence throughout my life, a good dose of self-confidence, and I'm a pretty creative thinker. So I naturally come up with unconventional solutions to problems and am not afraid to try new things. For example, I designed a log home while I was still in high school with the dream of building it and moving in immediately after graduation. I was sure at the time that I could do it and that I'd be happy living in a small, rustic cabin in the woods.

Later in life, when the stress and insecurities of the modern lifestyle would creep in, I'd look for answers. And that search would always lead me back to the notion of simplifying my lifestyle, including my housing arrangement. But with a wife and three children I'd be impacting my family and the trade-offs never added up. Even so, I kept trying. It was during those family years that I searched and researched. Timber frame. Wind power. Straw bale houses. Active solar. Earthships (or what became known as "tire houses" in my family). Passive solar. Systems to heat in the winter. Systems to cool in the summer. And of course, the ever-challenging bathroom!

Then one day, not so long ago, I found myself alone. The kids were grown and were living on their own and my marriage had ended. But ironically, I was also at a point in my life where the stress of modern living didn't bother me much and I was no longer in such a hurry to live in a "tire house". So even though I had to move to a new location, I was content to look at conventional apartments as a solution for my housing.

But then, I heard a voice inside me saying, "Hey, what about a tent? Just live in a tent?". (Yeah, I hear voices sometimes :) )

Indeed, why not live in a tent? I had talked and dreamt about simplifying my life for 40 years and now I had the perfect opportunity. There might never be a better time. So, late in 2011, I decided to try it, at least for a year or so. I started researching, designing, and constructing in October and moved in in November, 2011.

For the first few months, I enjoyed the novelty of switching to this new lifestyle. There were always "improvement projects" going on and new problems to solve. I was also very busy in other areas of my life in those early months so I didn't really begin to settle in to my new life until very recently. The novelty is wearing off as time passes, and what started out as some sort of experiment is slowly becoming my home.

The other thing that has changed recently is my view of the modern lifestyle. When I first started this experiment, I was convinced that the benefits of tent living would far outweigh any disadvantages and that it was clearly a better way to live. But now, I'm starting to see things differently. For example, I just *love* running hot water. And air conditioning. And refrigeration. It's so comfortable to dwell in a modern house, and I appreciate these comforts now more than ever. Oh, the decadence of a shower!

At the same time, my lifestyle at home is so simple and menial that I remain constantly mindful of nearly ever task that I perform. As I draw water, I know how close I am to the bottom of the container, and how soon I will be fetching more. I watch the night creep into my tent and think about how much longer I can wait to light my candles. I hear the birds beginning to sing in the morning and begin to plan my day as I snooze one last time.

So what started as an experiment in alternative housing has evolved into much more. I have never been so mindful and relaxed at home, and never so appreciative of modern comforts when visiting others. I am awake, like never before. And that gift of mindfulness is one of the main reason I continue to live this way...for now.

2 comments:

  1. Very well written Dave. I enjoy reading about your journey wherever it leads~

    ReplyDelete