Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rain Fly Support System, Version 3.0

A few months ago I tried a new design for my rain fly support system. It consisted of two vertical 4x4 posts and a horizontal 25-foot cross piece running from post to post. It worked great...for about two days...then it failed miserably.The cross piece was just too flimsy. It twisted and turned and finally cracked.

I posted the failure on Facebook. Some of my friends consoled me. Others offered suggestions. I was already thinking about building a sturdier cross piece, something like a light structural beam, and many of my friends offered similar suggestions. Then my son, Boston, suggested a different approach:


"I think a compression member is asking for trouble. Why not a thick, strong rope under tension instead of a beam? Keep the 4x4 posts at the gable ends for compression, and turnbuckle the beam rope on the ground. Less weight over your head if it fails, too."
As soon as I read his post I knew he was on the right track.

I drilled 1/2" holes at the top of each 4x4 post and ran 50' of 1/2" twisted nylon rope from post to post. The rope has a 600 lbs working load. I intended to put 200 lbs of tension on the rope to keep it flat. That would leave 400 lbs for snow load.
Sighting down the rope from the front post, 14 feet off the ground
I staked the ends of the rope to the ground using two, 2 1/2' x 3/4" pipes at each end, and rigged a sort of block-and-tackle on the rope using four D-rings. I pulled the rope taut.
Block-and-tackle made from D-rings
The block-and-tackle worked well and I was able to get the rope pretty flat, which in turn keeps the rain fly smooth and stationary.
Rope in place, anchored, and pulled taut
I draped the rain fly over the rope and staked it down.
The finished rain fly

No comments:

Post a Comment